Biographical entry Builder, Geoffrey (1906 - 1960)
- 21 June 1906
Cue, Western Australia, Australia
- 17 June 1960
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Physicist and Radio engineer
Geoffrey Builder was a senior lecturer in physics at the University of Sydney 1950-60. He was particularly interested in instrumentation.
Born Cue, Western Australia, 21 June 1906. Died Sydney, 17 June 1960. Educated University of Western Australia (BSc 1928) and King's College London (PhD 1933, DSc 1955). Apprentice mechanic, Midland Railway Company, Western Australia 1922-24; demonstrator in physics, University of Western Australia 1928; assistant, Watheroo Magnetic Observatory 1928-30; British Polar Year wireless expedition 1932-33; research physicist, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Radio Research Board 1933-34; officer-in-charge, Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd Research Laboratories 1934-40 roving commission for AWA to strengthen Australia's international radio links 1940-42; major, Australian Military Forces 1942; acting general manager, Airzone Ltd, a wartime supplier of electronic equipment to the Department of Defence 1942-45; consulting engineer, Sydney 1945-49; temporary lecturer in physics, University of Sydney 1947-50, senior lecturer 1950-60.
- Home, R. W., 'Builder, Geoffrey (1906-1976), Physicist and Radio Engineer', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 13, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1993, pp. 290-291. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130329b.htm. Details
- Bailey, V. A., 'Obituary: Geoffrey Builder', Australian Journal of Science, vol. 23, no. 5, 1960, pp. 155-156. Details
- 'Builder, Geoffrey', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P001614p.htm. Details
- 'Builder, Geoffrey (1906-1960)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1466602. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 15 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education