Biographical entry Bosworth, Richard Charles Leslie (1907 - 1964)
- 17 January 1907
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- 24 March 1964
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Physical chemist
Richard Bosworth was Associate Professor of Physical Chemistry, University of New South Wales 1957-64. Earlier he had worked in research for the Colonial Sugar Refining Co. 1938-1956 and was an 1851 Exhibition scholar at Cambridge University 1933-1938.
Born Adelaide, 17 January 1907. Died Sydney, 24 March 1964. Educated Universities of Adelaide (BSc 1928, MSc 1931, DSc 1938) and Cambridge (PhD 1935). 1851 Exhibition Scholar, Cambridge 1932-35; 1851 Exhibition Senior Scholar 1936-37; research chemist, Colonial Sugar Refining Company 1938-48, Manager, research department, 1948-57; Associate Professor of Physical Chemistry and head of the physical chemistry department, University of New South Wales 1957-64. H.G. Smith Memorial Medal, Royal Australian Chemical Institute 1952; Royal Society of New South Wales Medal 1958. Achieved a patent for a type of salicylic acid in 1952, jointly with Beverly Cortis-Jones. President, Royal Society of New South Wales 1951-52; president, New South Wales branch, British Society of Rheology, president, University of New South Wales Chemical Society 1958.
University of New South Wales Archives
- Richard Charles Leslie Bosworth - Records, 1930 - 1964, CN 929; University of New South Wales Archives. Details
- Bhathal, R., 'Bosworth, Richard Charles Leslie (1907-1964), Chemist and Academic', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 13, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1993, pp. 226-227. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130257b.htm. Details
- 'Bosworth, Richard Charles Leslie', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P001606p.htm. Details
- 'Bosworth, R C L (1907-1964)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1054637. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 11 February 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education