Biographical entry Boyd, William Alexander Jenyns (1842 - 1928)
- 27 November 1842
- 19 May 1928
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Agricultural journalist and Schoolmaster
William Boyd emigrated to Queensland in 1860 and from 1874 was agricultural editor of the "Queenslander". He was the first editor of the "Queensland Agricultural Journal" from 1897 and emphasized the application of science and experiments with new crops.
Born Paris, 27 November 1842. Died Sydney, 19 May 1928. Arrived Queensland 1860; grew cotton, arrowroot and rice at Oxley Creek 1860-67 and built a cotton mill there; headmaster, West Oxley State School 1867-71; grew sugar and built a mill at Pimpama 1871; headmaster, Townsville State School ca 1872-73; "Occasional District Inspector and Promoter of New Schools" 1874-75; agricultural editor, the "Queenslander" from 1874; owner and editor, "Cleveland Bay Express", Townsville, 1875-78; citrus-growing near Helidon from 1879; private school, Milton; Eton School, Nundah 1883-89; headmaster, Toowoomba Grammar School 1890; reopened Eton 1891-93; first editor of the "Queensland Agricultural Journal" 1897-1921; promoted the inclusion of agricultural courses in the 1905 primary school syllabus; began a schools' section in the journal 1906; wrote an agricultural textbook 1908; amateur soldier 1885-97; censor, Bundaberg 1914.
Queensland State Archives
- William Alexander Jenyns Boyd - Records, 1860 - 1875; Queensland State Archives. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Collins, David, Chemistry in Australia Bibliography, eScholarship Research Centre, 2009, http://www.eoas.info/ciab.html. Details
- Logan, G. N., 'Boyd, William Alexander Jenyns (1842-1928)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 7 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1979), pp. 374-375. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070384b.htm. Details
- Eastes, Charles, Lukin, Gresley and Boyd, William Alexander Jenyn, 'Manufacture of sugar from juice without lime, &c. (Patent, 6 April, 1877)', Specifications of Letters of Registration of Patents for Inventions - South Australia, 1874-8, 3 (285) (1877), 3. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 28 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education