Biographical entry Baracchi, Pietro Paolo Giovanni Ernesto (1851 - 1926)
- 25 February 1851
- 23 July 1926
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Pietro Paolo G. E. Baracchi was Government Astronomer of Victoria 1900-15. He established a small observatory on Mount Stromlo in 1910 for the Commonwealth government.
Born Florence, Italy, 25 February 1851. Died Melbourne, 23 July 1926. Educated in civil engineering, Florence (?). Engineer, Italian Army; assistant, Melbourne Observatory 1876-77; draftsman, Victorian Lands & Survey Department 1877-82; passed land surveyor's examination with credit 1880; assistant, Melbourne Observatory 1882-83; third assistant, in charge of the Great Melbourne Telescope 1883-92; first assistant 1892-95; acting government astronomer 1895-1900; government astronomer 1900-15. Order of Knight Commander of the Crown of Italy 1897. President, Royal Society of Victoria 1908-09.
- Perdrix, J. L., 'Baracchi, Pietro Paolo Giovanni Ernesto (1851-1926), astronomer', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 7, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1979, pp. 166-167. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070169b.htm. Details
- 'Baracchi, Pietro Paolo Giovanni Ernesto', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P001410p.htm. Details
- 'Baracchi, Pietro', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-610323. Details
- Federation and Meteorology, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/fam/scripts/fam-dynindex.php3?EID=P001410. Details
- Baracchi, Pietro Paolo Giovanni Ernesto Portrait
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 June 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Royal Society of Victoria