Biographical entry Coghlan, Timothy Augustine (1855 - 1926)
- 9 June 1855
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 30 April 1926
Sir Timothy Coghlan was Government Statistician in New South Wales 1886-1905 and New South Wales Agent-General in London 1905-1926. He initiated the New South Wales Year-Books and in 1918 published his major work Labour and Industry in Australia.
Born Sydney, 9 June 1855. Died London, 30 April 1926. Imperial Service Order 1903; kt 1914; KCMG 1918. Educated Sydney Grammar School. Wool-broking office of Edward Flood 1870; pupil-teacher, Fort Street Public School 1870-72; cadet, harbours and rivers navigation branch, Department of Public Works 1873-86, becoming an assistant engineer 1884; New South Wales government statistician 1886-1905, initiating the Year Book in 1887; New South Wales agent-general, London, 1905-15, 1916-17, 1920-26. One of the first members of the Public Service Board 1896; registrar of Friendly Societies 1892-1905; chairman, Central Board for Old-Age Pensions 1900-05. Fellow, Royal Statistical Society, London 1893. Wrote Labour and Industry in Australia (1918).
National Library of Australia Manuscript Collection
- Timothy Augustine Coghlan - Records, 1878 - 1959, MS 6335; National Library of Australia Manuscript Collection. Details
Private hands (Cordell, J.M.)
- Timothy Augustine Coghlan - Records, 1886 - 1905; Private hands (Cordell, J.M.). Details
- Hicks, Neville, 'Coghlan, Sir Timothy Augustine (1855-1926), statistician and public servant' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 8 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1981), pp. 48-51. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A080053b.htm. Details
- Heyde, C. C., 'Official statistics in the late colonial period leading on to the work of the first Commonwealth Statistician, G. H. Knibbs', Australian Journal of Statistics, 30 (B) (1988), 23-43. Details
- York, Barry, 'T. A. Coghlan Hard Measurable Reality', National Library of Australia News (2000), 11-13. Details
McCarthy, G.J. & Rosanne Walker
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 15 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education