Biographical entry Catani, Carlo Giorgio Domenico Enrico (1852 - 1918)
- 22 April 1852
- 20 July 1918
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Civil engineer
Carlo Catani worked for the Victorian Public Works Department 1882-1917 and supervised various public works projects around Melbourne and country Victoria.
Born Florence, Italy, 22 April 1852. Died Melbourne, 20 July 1918. Educated Technical Institute of Florence (civil engineering diploma). Railway construction in Italy; arrived Melbourne 1876; draftsman, Department of Lands and Survey 1876-80, surveyor 1880-82; engineering draughtsman, Public Works Department 1882-86, assistant engineer 1886-92, section head 1892-1917. Catani in the West Gippsland area, Lake Catani in the Mount Buffalo Plateau and Catani Gardens at the beach end of Fitzroy Street in St Kilda were all named after him. Also commemorated by a bronze bust at the foot of Schefferle's memorial clock tower on the St Kilda Esplanade.
Public Record Office Victoria, Victorian Archives Centre
- Carlo Giorgio Domenico Enrico Catani - Records, 1882 - 1917; Public Record Office Victoria, Victorian Archives Centre. Details
State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection
- Carlo Giorgio Domenico Enrico Catani - Records, 1900 - 1932, MS 7612 ...; State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection. Details
- McNicoll, Ronald, 'Catani, Carlo Giorgio Domenico Enrico (1852-1918)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 7 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1979), pp. 589-590. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070597b.htm. Details
- Catani, C., 'Earth excavators and their use in Victoria (Paper & Discussion)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. XVI (1917), 123-134, 275-276. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24595. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education