Biographical entry Whelan, Robert Ford (1922 - 1984)
- 22 December 1922
- 21 November 1984
- Physiologist and Pharmacologist
Robert Whelan was professor and head of the Department of Human Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Adelaide 1958-1971 and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Western Australia 1971-1977. His special interest was the action of humoral agents and drugs on human blood vessels.
Born Belfast, Northern Ireland, 22 December 1922. Died Liverpool, 21 November 1984. Educated Queen's University, Belfast (MB, BCh, BAO 1946, MD 1951; PhD 1955; DSc 1960). MD, University of Adelaide 1958. Resident Medical Officer, Belfast City Hospital 1947; Senior Ship's Surgeon, Glen Line, Far East and Australia 1948; junior lecturer then assistant lecturer in physiology, Queen's University 1949-51; Research Fellow, Sherrington School of Physiology, St. Thomas's Hospital, London 1951-52; lecturer in physiology (joint appointment - Queen's University and Northern Ireland Hospitals Authority 1952-57; professor and head of Department of Human Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Adelaide 1958-71; Honorary Consulting Physiologist, Royal Adelaide Hospital 1959-71; Dean, Faculty of Medicine, University of Adelaide 1964-65; Vice-Chancellor, University of Western Australia 1971-77; Vice-Chancellor, University of Liverpool 1977-84. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1966. President, Medical Sciences Club of South Australia 1963; inaugural president, Australasian Society of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacologists 1966, Honorary Member 1971; Honorary Member, Australian Physiological and Pharmacological Society 1972; chairman, Australian National Committee, International Union of Pharmacologists 1968-75.
- Glover, W. E., 'Robert Ford Whelan 1922-1984', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 3, 1986, pp. 409-421. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9860630409.htm. Details
- Glover, W. E., 'Robert Ford Whelan 1922-1984', in Australian Academy of Science Biographical Memoirs, Australian Academy of Science, 2006, http://www.science.org.au/fellows/memoirs/whelan.html. Details
- 'Whelan, R F (1922-1984)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-565996. Details
- Robert Ford Whelan
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 June 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education