Biographical entry Slatyer, Ralph Owen (1929 - 2012)
FAA, FRS, FTSE
- 16 April 1929
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 26 July 2012
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Ralph Slatyer was Chief Scientist, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet from 1989-1992, Professor of Biology, Institute of Advanced Studies, Australian National University 1967-1992 and Ambassador of Australia to UNESCO 1978-1981.
Born Melbourne, 16 April 1929. AO 1982, AC 1993. Educated University of Western Australia (BSc (Agric) 1951, MSc (Agric) 1955, DSc (Agric) 1960). Research Scientist-Chief Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Land Research 1951-66, Associate Chief, Division of Land Research 1966-67, Professor of Biology, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University 1967-92, Australian Ambassador to UNESCO, Paris 1978-81, Chairman, Australian Science and Technology Council (part-time) 1982-87, Director, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University 1984-89, Deputy Chairman, National Greenhouse Advisory Committee, Department of the Arts, Sport, Environment and Territories 1989-93, Chairman, Cooperative Research Centre Program, Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet 1989-92, Chief Scientist, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet 1989-92, Distinguished Scholar in Residence, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University 1993-. Edgeworth David Medal, Royal Society of New South Wales 1960, Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1967, Australian Medal of Agricultural Science 1968, Fellow, Royal Society 1975, Foreign Associate, US National Academy of Sciences 1976, Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal 1977, ANZAAS Medal 1991, Fellow, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering 1992. President, Ecological Society of Australia 1969, Chairman, UNESCO World Heritage Committee 1981-83, President, Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment (SCOPE) 1982-85, President, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science (ANZAAS) 1983.
- Slatyer, Ralph Owen, Ecological Society of Australia: the first 25 years, Ecosystems Dynamics Group, Australian National University, Canberra, 1999, 28 pp. Details
- Moyal, Ann (ed.), Portraits in Science, National Library of Australia, Canberra, 1994, 209 pp. Details
- 'Obituaries - Ralph Slatyer', in Australian Academy of Science Newsletter, Australian Academy of Science, September 2012, http://science.org.au/publications/newsletters/documents/aas89.pdf. Details
- Blythe, Max, 'Interview with Professor Ralph Slatyer', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 14 September 1993, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/s/rs.html. Details
- 'Slatyer, R O', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-527637. Details
- Ward, C., 'Ralph Owen Slatyer', in CSIROpedia, 2011, http://csiropedia.csiro.au/display/CSIROpedia/Slatyer%2C+Ralph+Owen. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 18 October 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education