Biographical entry Serventy, Vincent Noel (1916 - 2007)
- 6 January 1916
Armadale, Western Australia, Australia
- 8 September 2007
- Naturalist, Author and Ornithologist
Vincent Serventy graduated from the University of Western Australia in both science and education. He later moved away from teaching into writing, lecturing and film making, and edited several naturalist magazines.
Born Armadale, Western Australia, 6 January 1916. Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for services to conservation and natural history, 29 January 1976. Educated University of Western Australia (BSc, BEd.) Teacher, Western Australia. Has edited several naturalist magazines (including Wildlife in Australia 1966-82), held executive positions in various Societies, and published a number of books on Australian wildlife. Books include The Australian Nature Trail (1965), Australian Wild Life Conservation (1968), The Great Barrier Reef (1970) and Australia; a Continent in Danger (1970). Australian Natural History Medallion 1974. President, Western Australian Naturalists' Club 1946-47, 1951. Brother of D.L. Serventy (q.v.).
His wife, Carol, has accompanied him on his wilderness adventures and has edited his writing since the 1960s.
National Library of Australia Manuscript Collection
- Vincent Noel Serventy - Records, 1926 - 1972, MS 4655; National Library of Australia Manuscript Collection. Details
National Library of Australia Oral History Collection
- Anon, 'Vincent Noel Serventy 6 January 1916 - 8 September 2007', Western Australian Naturalist, vol. 26, no. 3, 2008, pp. 151-6. Details
- Charlton, Lorna, 'Vincent Serventy: the Story of an Australian Icon', Landscope , vol. 24, no. 4, 2009, pp. 9-14. Details
- Serventy, V., 'Conservation of Wildlife and the Environment', BHP Journal, vol. 1, no. 80, 1980, pp. 24-33. Details
- Stephens, Tony, 'Obituary - Green before movement became fashionable', The Age, 18 September 2007. Details
- 'Serventy, Vincent Noel (1916-2007)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1471339. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
McCarthy, G.J. & Rosanne Walker
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia