Biographical entry Roe, John Septimus (1797 - 1878)
- 8 May 1797
Newbury, Berkshire, England
- 28 May 1878
Western Australia, Australia
- Surveyor and Explorer
John Septimus Roe was posted in 1817 as master's mate to the surveying service in New South Wales carrying on the work done by M. Flinders. In 1829 he took the position of Surveyor-General in the Swan River Colony and collected natural history and geological specimens.
From 1830 to 1849 Roe made 16 journeys of exploration in Western Australia.
- 1829 - 1849?
- Career position - Surveyor-general to the settlement of Swan River, Western Australia
- Taxonomy event - Description of the Eucalyptus patens Benth. (1867), of which Roe collected a syntype
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Australian Botanists - Biographies, MS 064; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
JS Battye Library of West Australian History, State Library of Western Australia
- John Septimus Roe - Records, 1807 - 1878, MN 8; JS Battye Library of West Australian History, State Library of Western Australia. Details
State Records Office of Western Australia
- John Septimus Roe - Records, 1817 - 1839, ACC 1114/37 and others; State Records Office of Western Australia. Details
- Hall, Norman, Botanists of the Eucalypts : short biographies of people who have named eucalypts, whose names have been given to species or who have collected type material, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Melbourne, 1978, 101 pp. Details
- Jackson, Janice Lynn Burton, Not an Idle Man: a Biography of John Septimus Roe, Western Australia's First Surveyor-General (1797-1878), West Swan, WA: MB Roe, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, Fremantle, W.A., 1982. Details
- Mercer, F. R., Amazing Career: the story of Western australia's first surveyor-general, Perth, 1962. Details
- Broeze, Frank, 'John Septimus Roe, 1797-1878', in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2004. Details
- Uren, Malcolm, 'Roe, John Septimus (1797-1878), naval officer, surveyor and explorer', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 2, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1967, pp. 390-392. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020344b.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 23 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education