Biographical entry Melville, James (1908 - 1984)
- 10 July 1908
- 8 October 1984
- Agricultural scientist
James Melville was Director of the Waite Agricultural Research Institute 1956-73. He was the Australian Universities representative on the Wool Research Committee 1958-64 and a member of the Council of the Australian Wine Research Institute 1957-70.
Born New Zealand?, 10 July 1908. Died 8 October 1984. CMG 1969. Educated Universities of Otago (MSc) and London (PhD). Commonwealth Fund Fellow, Yale University, Assistant Chemist, Wheat Research Institute, Christchurch, Director, Plant Chemistry Laboratory, New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research 1939-51, Director, Grassland Division, DSIR 1950-56, war service as Captain, south and south-west Pacific areas 1940-44, Director, Waite Agricultural Research Institute 1956-73. Chairman, Australian Wool Industry Conference 1964-66, President, Australian Institute of Agricultural Science 1970.
Waite Agricultural Research Institute
- James Melville - Records, 1959 - 1968; Waite Agricultural Research Institute. Details
- Melville, J., 'Agricultural Research.' in Introducing South Australia, Rupert Best, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1958. Details
- Radcliffe, John C., Melville, James (1908-1984), Agricultural Scientist, Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 18, 2012, 150-1 pp. Details
- Melville, J., 'Obituary: Robert Kerford Morton', Australian Journal of Science, vol. 26, no. 9, 1964, pp. 285-286. Details
- 'Melville, J (19080710-19841008)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-490318. Details
- McIntyre, A. K., 'Walter Victor Macfarlane 1913-82', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 2, 1985, pp. 247-265. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9850620247.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 10 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education