Biographical entry Macfarlane, Walter Victor (1913 - 1982)
- 27 September 1913
Christchurch, New Zealand
- 26 February 1982
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Victor Macfarlane was Professor of Animal Physiology, University of Adelaide 1964-1978. Earlier he was Professorial Fellow in Physiology at the Australian National University, Canberra 1958-1964 and Professor of Physiology, University of Queensland 1949-1958. He had wide ranging scientific interests, but worked particularly on physiological mechanisms of adaptation to different environments, especially heat.
Born Christchurch, New Zealand, 27 September 1913. Died Canberra, 26 February 1982. Educated Universities of Canterbury (MA Zoology 1936) and Otago (MB, ChB 1945, MD cum laude 1950). Parasitologist, Wallaceville Laboratory, New Zealand 1937-38; Assistant in Neurosurgery, Dunedin Hospital 1946-47; Senior Lecturer in Physiology, University of Otago 1948-49; Professor of Physiology, University of Queensland 1949-58; Professorial Fellow in Physiology, Australian National University 1959-64; Professor of Animal Physiology, University of Adelaide 1964-78, Professor Emeritus from 1979. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1972; Fellow of ANZAAS.; Petersen Award in Animal Climatology; Decennial Medal, Negev Institute for Arid Zone Research; Mueller Medal, ANZAAS.
Barr Smith Library, Special Collections, The University of Adelaide
- Curtis, D. R., 'Macfarlane, Walter Victor (1913-1982), Physiologist', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 18, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2012, pp. 73-4. Also available at http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/macfarlane-walter-victor-15105. Details
- McIntyre, A. K., 'Walter Victor Macfarlane 1913-82', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 2, 1985, pp. 247-265. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9850620247.htm. Details
- McIntyre, A. K., 'Walter Victor Macfarlane 1913-1982', in Australian Academy of Science Biographical Memoirs, Australian Academy of Science, 2006, http://www.science.org.au/fellows/memoirs/macfarlane.html. Details
- 'Macfarlane, Walter Victor (19130927-19820226)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1474285. Details
- Glover, W. E., 'Robert Ford Whelan 1922-1984', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 3, 1986, pp. 409-421. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9860630409.htm. Details
- Walter Victor Macfarlane
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 June 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education