Biographical entry Cornforth, John Warcup (1917 - )
- 7 September 1917
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
(Sir) John Warcup Cornforth was Professor and Research Professor, University of Sussex, 1971-82. He won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1975.
Born 7 September 1917. CBE 1972, KB 1977, AC 1991. Educated Universities of Sydney (BSc 1937, MSc 1938) and Oxford (DPhil 1941). 1851 Exhibition Overseas Scholar 1939-42, MRC Research Scholar 1942-46, Scientific Staff, Medical Research Council 1946-62, Director, Milstead Laboratory, Shell Research Ltd 1962-75, Associate Professor in Molecular Sciences, University of Warwick 1965-71, Royal Society Research Professor, University of Sussex 1975-82, Professor Emeritus, University of Sussex 1983-. Corday-Morgan Medal and Prize, Chemical Society 1953, Ciba Medal, Biochemical Society 1965, Flintoff Medal, Chemical Society 1966, Stouffer Prize 1967, Davy Medal, Royal Society 1968, Ernest Guenther Award, American Chemical Society 1969, Prix Roussel 1972, Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1975, Australian Man of the Year 1975, Royal Medal, Royal Society 1976, Chemical Society Award, Chemistry of Natural Products 1977, Corresponding member, Australian Academy of Science 1977, Foreign Associate, National Academy of Sciences (USA) 1978, Foreign Member, Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences 1978, Copley Medal, Royal Society 1982.
- Beale, R, 'John Warcup Cornforth', in Australia's Nobel Laureates - Adventures in Innovation, ABIE Australian Business and Investment Explorer, Sydney, 2004, pp. 94-103. Details
- 'The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1975 'for his work on the stereochemistry of enzyme-catalyzed reactions'', in Nobel e-Museum, 1996, http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1975/index.html. Details
- Cornforth, J.W., 'Autobiography of Sir John Warcup Cornforth', in Nobel e-Museum, 1996, http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1975/cornforth-autobio.html. Details
- 'Cornforth, John Warcup (1917-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475703. Details
- Aroney, M. J.; Bukingham, A. D., 'Raymond James Wood Le Fevre 1905-1986', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 7, no. 3, 1988, pp. 273-297. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9880730273.htm. Details
- Heyde, C. C., 'Patrick Alfred Pierce Moran 1917-1988', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 9, no. 1, 1992, pp. 17-30. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9920910017.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 25 May 2006
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education