Biographical entry Brown, Robert Hanbury (1916 - 2002)
- 31 August 1916
- 16 January 2002
Robert Hanbury Brown was Professor of Physics (Astronomy), University of Sydney 1964-81 and earlier Professor of Radio Astronomy, Manchester University 1949-64.
Born 31 August 1916. Died 16 January 2002. AC 1985. Educated University of London (BSc). DSc. Scientific officer (radar), Air Ministry 1936-42; assistant head, Combined Research Group, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington D.C. 1942-45; principal scientific officer, Telecommunications Research Establishment and head, Navigation Division, Ministry of Supply 1945-47; partner, Sir Robert Watson-Watt and Partners Ltd 1947-49; ICI Research Fellow, Jodrell Bank, University of Manchester 1949; Radio Astronomy, University of Manchester 1949-64; professor of physics (astronomy), University of Sydney 1964-81; Research Fellow, Foundation for Research in Physics, University of Sydney 1981; emeritus professor of physics (astronomy) 1981- . Fellow, Royal Society 1960, Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1967; Lyle Medal, Australian Academy of Science 1970; Britannica Australia Medal 1971; Hughes Medal, The Royal Society 1971; Honorary fellow, Indian Academy of Science 1974; Honorary fellow, Indian National Science Academy 1975; Matthew Flinders Medal, Australian Academy of Science 1982; ANZAAS Medal 1986. President, International Astronomical Union 1982-85.
National Library of Australia Oral History Collection
- Robert Hanbury Brown - Records, 1937 - 1972, DeB 580; National Library of Australia Oral History Collection. Details
University of Sydney, Archives
- Robert Hanbury Brown - Records, 1957 - 1983, Acc. 1060; University of Sydney, Archives. Details
- Brown, R. Hanbury, Boffin: a Personal Story of the Early Days of Radar and Radio Astronomy and Quantum Optics, Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1991, 184 (190) pp. Details
- Brown, R. Hanbury; Minnett, Harry C; White, Fredrick W. G., 'Edward George Bowen 1911-1991', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 9, no. 2, 1992, pp. 151-166. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9920920151.htm. Details
- Davis, John; Lovell, Sir Bernard,, 'Robert Hanbury Brown', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 14, no. 4, 2003, pp. 459-483. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR03006.htm. Details
- 'Obituary: Robert Hanbury Brown', The Age, 15 February 2002. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 23 May 2005
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education