Biographical entry Broinowski, Gracius Joseph (1837 - 1913)
- 7 March 1837
Walichnowy, near Wielun, Poland
- 11 April 1913
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Ornithologist and Artist
Gracius Joseph Broinowski was an illustrator of Australian birds and mammals and an advocate of fauna conservation.
Born Walichnowy, near Wielun, Poland, 7 March 1837. Died Sydney, 11 April 1913. Educated Munich University (classics, languages and art subjects). Arrived Australia ca 1857; worked in country areas for a few years; publishing firm, Melbourne; travelled widely in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland, painting landscapes and scenes of various towns; settled in Sydney in 1880, teaching painting to private pupils and at colleges, lectured on art and exhibited at various showings of the Royal Art Society; commissioned by the Department of Public Instruction in New South Wales to supply them with pictures of Australian birds and mammals 1880s; published "The Cockatoos and Nestors of Australia and New Zealand" 1888; published "The Birds of Australia" in six volumes 1887-1891, while farming at Campbelltown, New South Wales.
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- Gracius Joseph Broinowski - Records, 1890 - 1891; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Chisholm, A. H., 'Broinowski, Gracius Joseph (1837-1913), artist and ornithologist', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 3, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1969, p. 239. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A030223b.htm. Details
- Hindwood, K. A., 'Gracius Joseph Broinowski: His Books and his Prospectuses', Australian Zoologist, vol. 13, no. 4, 1966, pp. 357-369. Details
- Iredale, T., 'Broinowski's Birds and Mammals of Australia', Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales, 1956. Details
- Mathews, G. M., 'G. J. Broinowski', Emu, vol. 41, 1941. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 10 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education