Biographical entry Bowden, Frank Philip (1903 - 1968)
- 2 May 1903
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- 3 September 1968
Frank Philip Bowden was Professor of Surface Physics, University of Cambridge and Director of Surface Physics at the Cavendish Laboratory.
Born Hobart, 2 May 1903. Died Cambridge, 3 September 1968. CBE 1956. Educated Universities of Tasmania (BSc 1925, MSc 1927, DSc 1931) and Cambridge (PhD 1929, ScD 1938). Research scholar, University of Tasmania 1926; 1851 Exhibition Scholar 1927-28, senior scholar 1929-31; demonstrator in chemistry, University of Cambridge 1931-37, lecturer in physical chemistry 1937-39; Officer-in-charge, Lubricants & Bearings Section, CSIR, Melbourne 1939-45; reader, physical chemistry, Cambridge 1946-57, reader in physics 1957-66, professor of surface physics 1966-68. FRS 1948, Rumford Medal 1956.
- McLaren, Alex C.; Spink, J. A., 'Bowden, Frank Philip (1903-1968), Chemist and Physical Chemist', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 13, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1993, pp. 228-229. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130259b.htm. Details
- Greenwood, Norman N. and Spink, John A., 'An Antipodean Laboratory of Remarkable Distinction', Notes and Records of the Royal Society of London, vol. 57, 2003, pp. 85-105. Details
- Spink, J. A., 'Frank Philip Bowden - Scientific Entrepreneur', Chemistry in Australia, May, 1989, pp. 157-160. Details
- 'Bowden, Frank Philip', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P000247p.htm. Details
- 'Bowden, Frank Philip (1903-1968)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-795008. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_b.html. Details
- Clarebrough, L. M.; Head, A. K., 'Walter Boas 1904-1982', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 4, 1987, pp. 507-517. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9870640507.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 25 July 2006
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education