Biographical entry Birch, Louis Charles (Charles) (1918 - 2009)
- 8 February 1918
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 19 December 2009
Charles Birch was Professor of Zoology, University of Sydney 1960-1963 and then Professor of Biological Sciences 1963-1983.
Born Melbourne, 8 February 1918. Educated Universities of Melbourne (BAgrSc 1939) and Adelaide (DSc 1948). Research entomologist, Waite Agricultural Research Institute, University of Adelaide 1939-45; Research Fellow, University of Chicago 1946; senior overseas CSIRO Research Scholarship, Bureau of Animal Population, Department of Zoological Field Studies, Oxford University 1947; senior lecturer in zoology, University of Sydney 1948-53; reader 1954-60; Challis Professor of Zoology 1960-63; Challis Professor of Biology 1963-83; Emeritus Professor since 1983. David Syme Prize, University of Melbourne 1954; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1961; Member of the Club of Rome 1974; Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science 1980.
National Library of Australia Oral History Collection
- Louis Charles ("Charles") Birch - Records, 1940 - 1972, DeB 639; National Library of Australia Oral History Collection. Details
University of Sydney, Archives
- Louis Charles ("Charles") Birch - Records, 1953 - 1986, P 131; University of Sydney, Archives. Details
- Birch, L.C.; Browning, T. O., 'Herbert George Andrewartha 1907-1992', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 9, no. 3, 1993, pp. 258-268. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9930930259.htm. Details
- 'Birch, Charles (19180208-20091219)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-813339. Details
- Shine, Rick, 'Interview with Professor Charles Birch', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 2008, http://science.org.au/scientists/interviews/b/birch.html. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 24 November 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education