Biographical entry Benson, William Noel (1885 - 1957)
- 26 December 1885
- Geologist and Mineralogist
William Benson was Professor of Geology, University of Otago, New Zealand 1917-1951.
Born London, 26 December 1885. Died 1957. Educated Universities of Hobart and Sydney (BSc 1907). Lecturer in mineralogy and petrology, University of Adelaide 1908; demonstrator, Geology Department, University of Sydney 1909-11; Cambridge 1911-12; travel in Europe 1913; Macleay Fellowship in Geology 1914-15; lecturing, Geology Department, University of Sydney 1915-17; Professor of geology, Otago University 1917-51. Lyell Fund, Geological Society of London 1933; Hector Medal, Royal Society of New Zealand 1933; Lyell Medal, Geological Society of London 1939; Hutton Medal, Royal Society of New Zealand 1944; Clarke Medal, Royal Society of New South Wales 1945; Fellow, Royal Society 1951; Mueller Medal, ANZAAS 1951. President, Section C (Geology), Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science 1921; president, Royal Society of New Zealand 1945-47.
- Barkas, J. P.; Aitchison, J. C., 'The Great Serpentine Belt of New South Wales: Evolution of Ideas from Benson through Vallance to the Present', in D. F. Branagan and G. H. McNally (eds), Useful and Curious Geological Enquiries Beyond the World: Pacific-Asia Historical Themes: The 19th International INHIGEO Symposium, Sydney, Australia, 4-8 July, 1994, International Commission on the History of Geological Sciences, Sydney, 1994, pp. 241-247. Details
- Benson, W. N., 'William Noel Benson, 1885-1957', Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales, vol. 84, 1959, pp. 403-409. Details
- Browne, W. R., 'Obituary: Professor W. N. Benson, FRS', Australian Journal of Science, vol. 20, no. 6, 1958, pp. 175-176. Details
- Hills, E. S., 'William Noel Benson', Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of The Royal Society, vol. 4, 1958, pp. 27-33. Details
- Mayer, Wolf, 'William Noel Benson (1885-1957): Insights into the Life and Work of an Eminent Geologist', Earth Sciences History, vol. 32, no. 1, 2013, pp. 55-85. Details
- Mayer, Wolf, 'William Noel Benson (1885-1957): Insights into the Life and Work of an Eminent Geologist', Earth Sciences History, vol. 32, 2013, pp. 55-85. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education