Biographical entry Bauer, Ferdinand Lukas (1760 - 1826)
- 20 January 1760
- 17 March 1826
- Botanical artist and Botanical collector
Ferdinand Lukas Bauer was botanical draughtsman to Matthew Flinders' exploration of the New South Wales coast 1801-1803. He made 1541 drawings of Australian plants, of which 236 are preserved in the Natural History Museum, London.
Born Feldberg, Austria, 20 January 1760. Died Vienna, 17 March 1826. Encouraged in botanical drawing by a priest, Norbert Boccius; illustrated "Icones Plantarum Rariorum" 1781-86; travel in the Mediterranean 1786-87, drawings later published as "Flora Graeca"; accompanied Matthew Flinders (q.v.) in the "Investigator" as botanical draughtsman 1800-1805; some of his drawings were published as "Illustrationes Florae Novae Hollandiae" (London, 1813), and some in other publications such as the atlas to Flinders' "A voyage to Terra Australis" (London, 1814) but the majority remained unpublished because his standards were too perfectionist.
- 1801 - c. 1805
- Career event - Botanical draughtsman to Flinders' Australian expedition
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus setosa Schau. Bauer and R. Brown jointly collected the type.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus ferruginea Schau. Bauer and R. Brown jointly collected the type.
- Taxonomy event - Bauer was commemorated with Eucalyptus bauerana Schau.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Australian Botanists - Biographies, MS 064; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- Ferdinand Lukas Bauer - Records, 1801 - 1803, ML MSS 840; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Linnean Society of London - Records, 1792 - 1870, FM 4/2699; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Bauer, Ferdinand, Ferdinandi Bauer Illustrationes florae Novae Hollandiae, sive, Icones generum quae in Prodromo florae Novae Hollandiae et Insulae Van Diemen descripsit Robertus Brown, Veneunt apud auctorem, 10 Russel Street, Bloomsbury, Londini, 1813, 15 pp. Details
- Lack, Hans Walter, The Bauers Joseph, Franz and Ferdinand: an illustrated history, Prestel, Munich, Germany, 2015, 528 pp. Details
- Mabberley, David, Ferdinand Bauer, the Nature of Discovery, Merrell Holberton and the Natural History Museum, London, 1999, 128 pp. Details
- Norst, Marlene, Ferdinand Bauer: the Australian Natural History Drawings, British Museum of Natural History/Lothian, London/Melbourne, 1989, 120 pp. Details
- Watts, Peter; Pomfrett, Jo Anne and Mabberley, David, An Exquisite Eye: the Australian Flora and Fauna Drawings 1812-1820 of Ferdinand Bauer, Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales, Sydney, 1997, 167 pp. Details
- Wrigley, J. and Fagg, M., Eucalypts: A Celebration, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest Australia, 2010, 344 pp. Details
- Gilbert, L. A., 'Bauer, Ferdinand Lukas (1760-1826)', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 1, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1966, p. 73. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010068b.htm. Details
- Thomas, Sarah (ed.), The Encounter, 1802: Art of the Flinders and Baudin Voyages, Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, 2002, 228 pp. Details
- Wege, Juliette (ed.), Matthew Flinders and his Scientific Gentlemen: the Expedition of HMS Investigator to Australia, 1801-05, Western Australian Museum, Perth, 2006, 184 pp. Details
- Britten, J., 'Ferdinand Bauer's drawings of Australian plants', Journal of botany, London, vol. 47, 1909, pp. 140-6. Details
- Edwards, P. I., 'Robert Brown (1773-1858) and the natural history of Matthew Flinders' voyage in H.M.S. Investigator, 1801-05', Journal of the Society for the Bibliography of Natural History, vol. 7, 1976, pp. 385-407. Details
- Mabberley, David J. and Moore, David T., 'Catalogue of the Holdings in the Natural History Museum (London) of the Australian Botanical Drawings of Ferdinand Bauer (1760-1826) and Cognate Materials Relating to the Investigator Voyage of 1801-1805', Bulletin of the Natural History Museum (Botany Series), vol. 29, no. 2, 1999, pp. 81-226. Details
- Maiden, J.H., 'Records of Australian Botanists', Journal and Proceedings of The Royal Society of New South Wales, vol. lv, 1921, pp. 60-132; 150-169. Details
- Moore, D. T., 'The pencil landscape drawings made by Ferdinand Bauer in Norfolk Island, from August 1804 to February 1805 in the Natural History Museum, London', Archives of Natural History, vol. 25, no. 2, 1998, pp. 213-20. Details
- Norst, Marlene, 'Ferdinand Lucas Bauer, 1760-1826: Recognition and Renaissance', Australian Natural History, vol. 23, no. 4, 1990, pp. 296-305. Details
- Stearn, William, 'Franz and Ferdinand Bauer, Masters of Botanical Illustration', Endeavour, vol. xix, 1960, pp. 27-35. Details
- Wheeler, Alwynne and Moore, D. T., 'The animal drawings of Ferdinand Bauer in the Natural History Museum, London', Archives of Natural History, vol. 21, 1994, pp. 309-44. Details
- Cohn, Helen M., 'Ferdinand Bauer, the Nature of Discovery by David Mabberley and Catalogue of the Holdings in the Natural History Museum (London) of the Australian Botanical Drawings of Ferdinand Bauer (1760-1826) and Cognate Materials Relating to the Investigator Voyage', review of Mabberley, David, Ferdinand Bauer, the Nature of Discovery, Merrell Holberton and the Natural History Museum, London, 1999, 128 pp., Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 14, no. 1, 2002, pp. 112-115. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR02901F_BR.htm. Details
- Moyal, Ann, review of Thomas, Sarah (ed.), The Encounter, 1802: Art of the Flinders and Baudin Voyages, Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, 2002, 228 pp., Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 14, no. 2, 2002, pp. 237-241. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=HR02011.pdf. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 17 March 2014
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education