Biographical entry Bastow, Richard Austin (1839 - 1920)
- 14 May 1839
- 14 May 1920
- Botanist and Botanical artist
Richard Austin Bastow, an architectural draughtsman, specialised in the field of cryptogamic botany and was a keen member of the Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria.
Born Edinburgh, Scotland, 14 May 1839. Died Melbourne, 14 May 1920. Arrived Tasmania 1884 as architectural draughtsman; took up botany as a hobby; moved to Victoria ca 1888; worked on mosses.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Australian Botanists - Biographies, MS 064; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
National Herbarium, Melbourne
- Richard Austin Bastow - Records, 1880 - 1920, MSS M15; National Herbarium, Melbourne. Details
- Willis, J.H., 'Botanical Pioneers in Victoria', Victorian Naturalist, vol. 66, 1949, pp. 83-89; 103-109; 123-107. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 10 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education