Biographical entry Brown, John Ednie (1848 - 1899)
FLS, FRGS, FRHortS
- 26 October 1899
Cottesloe, Western Australia, Australia
- Botanist and Forester
John Brown worked for government forestry institutions in New South Wales, South Australia and Western Australia. In 1882 his book Forest Flora of South Australia was published. Botanical illustrator Rosa Fiveash worked with lithographer H. Barrett to illustrate this work (1882-1890).
Born Scotland, 1848. Died Cottesloe, Perth, 26 October 1899. Nursery and forest management with his father 1864-66; assistant agent and forester, Invercauld estate, Aberdeenshire; laid out plantations and managed estates, Yorkshire and Sussex; United States and Canada 1871-72; conservator of forests, South Australia 1878-90; director-general of forests in New South Wales 1890-94; examination of forests in Western Australia for the Bureau of Agriculture 1895; conservator, Department of Woods and Forests, Western Australia 1896-99.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus leucoxylon var. pauperita J.E.Br.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus leucoxylon var. macrocarpa J.E.Br.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus lansdowneana F.Muell. & J.E.Br.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Brown, John Ednie, The forest flora of South Australia, Government Printer, Adelaide, 1882, 94 pp. Also available at http://nla.gov.au/nla.aus-vn2282454. Details
- Refshauge, Richard, 'Brown, John Ednie (1848-1899), sylviculturist', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 3, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1969, pp. 261-262. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A030241b.htm. Details
- Maiden, J.H., 'A Century of Botanical Endeavour in South Australia', Australasian Association for Advancement of Science, vol. xi, 1907, pp. 158-199. Details
- 'Brown, J E (1848-18991026)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-620753. Details
- Hall, Norman, Botanists of the Eucalypts: short biographies of people who have named eucalypts, whose names have been given to species or who have collected type material, CSIRO, Melbourne, 1978, 101 pp. Details
McCarthy, G.J., Moje, C.R. & Walsh, N.G.
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education