Biographical entry Bailey, Victor Albert (1895 - 1964)
- 18 December 1895
- 7 December 1964
Victor Albert Bailey was employed as a demonstrator in Electrical Laboratory Oxford and occasional lecturer, Queen's College. In 1924 he was appointed as Associate Professor of Physics at the University of Sydney. Bailey was subsequently promoted to Professor of Experimental Physics 1936-1952 and Research Professor 1953-1960.
- Education - Bachelor of Arts in Physics (BA) completed at Queen's College, Oxford, UK
- Education - Doctor of Philosophy (Dphil) completed at Queen's College, Oxford
- 1924 - 1936
- Career position - Associate Professor of Physics at the University of Sydney
- 1936 - 1952
- Career position - Research Professor of Experimental Physics at the University of Sydney?
- 1953 - 1960
- Career position - Research Professor of Physics at the University of Sydney?
- 1955 -
- Career position - Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA)
- Award - Walter Burfitt Prize and A D Olle Award received from Royal Society of New South Wales
- Career position - Emeritus Professor at the University of Sydney?
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Victor Albert Bailey - Records, 1936 - 1951, MS 032; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
University of Sydney, Archives
- Victor Albert Bailey - Records, 1921 - 1965, P 66; University of Sydney, Archives. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Smith, Ailie, Adolph Basser Library Manuscript Collection, eScholarship Research Centre, 2012, http://www.eoas.info/basser_browse.html. Details
- Home, R. W., 'Bailey, Victor Albert (1895-1964), Physicist', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 13, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1993, pp. 90-91. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130108b.htm. Details
- 'Obituary: Professor V.A. Bailey', Australian Physicist, vol. 2, no. 4, 1965, p. 66. Details
- Hopper, John L., 'Opportunities and Handicaps of Antipodean Scientists: H.J. Nicholson and V.A. Bailey on the Balance of Animal Populations', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 7, no. 2, 1988, pp. 179-188. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9880720179.htm. Details
- 'Bailey, Victor Albert - Ms 32', in Listing of Adolph Basser Library holdings, Australian Academy of Science, 1994, http://www.science.org.au/basser/manuscript-collection/ms032.html. Details
- 'Bailey, Victor Albert', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P000031p.htm. Details
- 'Bailey, Victor Albert (1895-1964)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1467993. Details
- Crompton, R. W., 'Leonard George Holden Huxley 1902-198', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 8, no. 4, 1991, pp. 249-264. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9910840249.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 14 December 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education