Browse Entries

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Corporate entry

  • Trove

Exhibitions

  • Adolph Basser Library Manuscript Collection

Corporate entry Commonwealth Observatory (c. 1950 - 1957)

From
c. 1950
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
To
1957
Functions
Astronomy or Space Science
Reference No
CA 634
Legal Status
Agency of the Commonwealth of Australia

Summary

The Commonwealth Solar Observatory changed its name to the Commonwealth Observatory in the middle of the twentieth century. The Observatory continued its focus on the study of solar phenomena as well as allied stellar and spectroscopic research. In 1952 the Observatory's workshop was destroyed in a bushfire, although the main astronomical observatory received little damage. The control of the Observatory was transferred from the Department of the Interior to the Australian National University in 1957. It became known as the Mount Stromlo Observatory.

Timeline

 1924 - c. 1950 Commonwealth Solar Observatory
       c. 1950 - 1957 Commonwealth Observatory
             1957 - c. 1967 Mount Stromlo Observatory
                   c. 1967 - Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories

Archival resources

Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science

  • Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1936 - 1956, MS 037; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
  • Walter Geoffrey Duffield - Records, 1880 - 1987, MS 095; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details

Published resources

Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions

Journal Articles

  • Orchiston, Wayne, Slee, Bruce and Burman, Ron, 'The Genesis of Solar Radio Astronomy in Australia', Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage, vol. 9, no. 1, 2006, pp. 35-56. Details

Online Resources