Browse Entries

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Corporate entry

  • Trove

Corporate entry Melbourne Zoological Gardens (c. 1857 - 1977)

From
c. 1857
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
To
1977
Functions
Conservation or Environment and Veterinary or Animal Health Industries
Location
Elliott Avenue, Parkville, Victoria 3052

Summary

The Melbourne Zoological Gardens were established at the Royal Park site in 1862, but had previously been located in Richmond, on the banks of the Yarra River. The development of a collection of exotic species began in the 1870s. Originally the animals were housed in old circus cages, followed by wooden houses, and later brick enclosures with cast iron bars. The modernisation of the Zoo began in the 1960s, with the old enclosures being replaced by larger, more open exhibits. The Zoo was granted royal charter in 1977.

Published resources

Books

  • De Courcy, Catherine, Evolution of a Zoo: a History of the Melbourne Zoological Gardens, 1857-1900, Quiddlers Press, Auburn, 2003, 90 pp. Details

Book Sections

  • Gillbank, Linden, 'A Paradox of Purposes: Acclimatization Origins of The Melbourne Zoo', in R. J. Hoage and William A. Deiss (eds), New Worlds, New Animals: From Menagerie to Zoological Park in the Nineteenth Century, John Hopkins University Press in association with the National Zoological Park, Smithsonian Inst., Baltimore/London, 1996, pp. 73-85. Details
  • McEvey, Allan, 'Le Souef, Albert Alexander Cochrane (1828-1902), pioneer and director of the Zoological Gardens, Melbourne', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 5, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1974, pp. 80-81. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A050095b.htm. Details

Online Resources

Ailie Smith