Corporate entry Department of Medicine, Royal Melbourne and Western Hospitals (1955 - )
The University of Melbourne
Parkville and Footscray, Victoria, Australia
- Education and Medical Research
- Parkville and Footscray, Victoria
The Department of Medicine, Royal Melbourne and Western Hospitals, was first established at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in 1955. The Department expanded into the Western Hospital in 1987. In 2002 the Department, a department of the University of Melbourne, consists of 154 staff and students.
From their Web site, February 2002: "The fields of research in the Department are broad, including diabetes, endocrinology, gastroenterology, osteoporosis and bone diseases, gerontology, arthritis and macrophage function, rehabilitation, infectious diseases and clinical pharmacology. Research is supported by many external research grants from bodies such as National Health & Medical Research Council, National Heart Foundation, Diabetes Australia, and the Wellcome Trust. External research funding in the Department is approximately $3-4 million per annum."
- Department of State and Regional Development, 'Medical Biotechnology 2001', in Guides to Current Research in Victorian Universities, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, 2002, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/asaw/exhib/awvs/medicalbiotech/unimelb.htm#343. Details
Created: 14 February 2002, Last modified: 17 June 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Victoria Department of State and Regional Development