Corporate entry Microscopical Society of Victoria (1873 - )
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Association, Society or membership organisation and Scientific Equipment Production or Supply
- Melbourne, Victoria
The Microscopical Society of Victoria was formed in 1873, and amalgamated with the Royal Society of Victoria in July 1887, to form Section D, for the study of the microscope and its applications. The Microscopical Society separated from the Royal Society in 1908, although meetings continued to be held at the Royal Society's hall until around 1954-56, when the Microscopical Society became incorporated with the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria.
The Microscopical Society of Victoria published a Quarterly Journal, vol. 1, pt 1 in August 1879, a Journal, vol. 1, nos 2 and 3, May 1880, to vol. 2, no. 1, April 1882, and Proceedings from vol. 1, May 27, 1912. It was founded for the promotion and encouragement of Microscopical Science, and the collection and diffusion of knowledge on all subjects with which the microscope deals, as well as to form the medium of communication between observing, and a source of instructions for amateurs and students, and for the establishment of a collection of microscopical works, objects, and apparatus. [Rules, undated].
Controlling Corporate Bodies
State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection
- The Royal Society of Victoria Guide to Records, with La Trobe Australian Manuscripts Collection, State Library of Victoria, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/guides/asrs/asrs.htm. Details
- Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1471414. Details
- Pescott, R.T.M., 'The Royal Society of Victoria From Then, 1854 to Now, 1959', in Science and the making of Victoria, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/smv/003.html. Details
- Science and the making of Victoria, with Royal Society of Victoria, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/smv/index_m.html. Details
Created: 12 April 2001, Last modified: 16 June 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Royal Society of Victoria