Browse Entries

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Corporate entry

  • Trove

Corporate entry Aeronautical Research Laboratories (1949 - 1994)

Department of Supply and Development

From
1949
Fisherman's Bend, Victoria, Australia
To
31 March 1994
Functions
Defence Research, Industrial or scientific research and Aviation or Aeronautical Industries
Reference No
CA 2307
Legal Status
Agency of the Commonwealth of Australia
Location
Fisherman's Bend, Victoria

Summary

The Aeronautical Research Laboratories were established in 1949. They replaced the Aeronautical and Engine Research Test Laboratory, which was created in 1939 as part of the CSIR Division of Aeronautics. The function of the Laboratory was to conduct research in the area of aeronautics, especially aircraft and missile design. In March 1994 the Aeronautical Research Laboratory merged with the Materials Research Laboratory to form Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory of the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO).

Published resources

Books

  • Historical Directory of Council for Scientific and Industrial Research and Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, 1926-1976, CSIRO, Canberra, 1978, 101 pp. Details
  • Mann, J. Y., Aeronautical Research Laboratory 1939-1989: 50 Years of Research and Development for Australia's Defence, Aeronautical Research Laboratory, Melbourne, 1989, 116 pp. Details

Journal Articles

  • Hurley, D. G., 'Mathematical Research at the Aeronautical Research Laboratories, 1939-1960', Journal of Australian Mathematical Society, Series B, vol. 30, 1989, pp. 389-413. Details

Online Resources

See also

Ailie Smith