Published Resources Details Conference Paper
- Restoration of lake margaret diesel locomotive
- 16th Engineering Heritage Australia Conference: Conserving Our Heritage - Make a Difference!
- Engineers Australia, Barton, Australian Capital Territory, 2011, pp. 484-495
In the second decade of the 20th century the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company started construction on the Lake Margaret hydro electric scheme to supply electricity for the mines in Queenstown. Part of the development included the construction of a two foot gauge tramway that connected Queenstown with the isolated settlement of Lake Margaret. The tramway was the only way in or out of Lake Margaret and provided a passenger and freight service until 1964 when it was replaced by a road. The tram was the lifeline for the small community but its replacement by a road changed the lifestyle and character of the small village virtually overnight. Initially the line was operated by steam locomotives but the main stay was locomotives powered by internal combustion engines including a Vauxhall Rail Car, a four wheel locomotive made by Nicola Romeo in the 1920s, and a four wheel diesel locomotive supplied by Tulloch in 1959. In May 2009 the author purchased the remains of the Tulloch locomotive, the only one of its type made by Tulloch. It has been restored and ran under its own power for the first time in 46 years on Saturday 2 October 2010. The paper covers information on the tramway aided by oral history interviews that the author undertook with the last two drivers of the Lake Margaret Tram, and the locomotive refurbishment.
Related Published resources
- 16th Engineering Heritage Australia Conference: Conserving Our Heritage - Make a Difference! (Barton, Australian Capital Territory: Engineers Australia, 2011), 551 pp, https://search.informit.com.au/browsePublication;isbn=9780858258877;res=IELENG. Details